As parents we have two choices: we can make purposeful parenting decisions, or we can fly by the seat of our pants and see how it goes. With a constant stream of distractions, it is easy to fall into the latter category. However, we will probably not end up where we want to be unless we consistently make intentional parenting decisions.
Author and parenting educator, Amy Carney, knows firsthand about the importance of parenting on purpose. She was thrown into the parenting fire with a set of triplets, followed by another daughter just over a year later. She quickly learned that she would be in way over her head without a parenting plan.
Her triplets are now 18 and, through the process of raising them to be responsible, respectful, resilient humans, Amy has learned much about what it takes to successfully raise a child with values. She recently wrote a book called, Parent on Purpose: A Courageous Approach to Raising Children in a Complicated World, which is packed full of practical and wise parenting advice.
In this episode, which is packed full of useful information, Amy shares her wisdom with us.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Why Amy and her husband withdrew their kids from school, purchased an RV, and spent seven months traveling the country, and what they learned in the process.
- Why the three pillars of parenting – lead, love, and launch – are vital, and how to apply them in your family
- How writing a parenting manifesto can be a game-changer
- Why parenting with strong leadership makes the process of child-rearing (even with triplets!) enjoyable instead of stressful
- How jars of pennies can help you stay intentional in your parenting
- How to stay grounded and purposeful in parenting while raising athletes whose sports are time-consuming
- Why it is vital to redefine success for us and for our kids
- The skill that many young adults are missing when they go to college (according to many college administrators), and how to help your child develop it
READY TO LISTEN?
CONNECT WITH AMY:
PURCHASE THE BOOK:
Amy’s book is short, practical, and packed full of wisdom. I highly recommend it, and you can get your copy right here.
YOU ALSO MIGHT ENJOY:
- Episode 018: How (and
why) to Stop Being A Helicopter Parent
- Episode 008: You Might be a Lawnmower Parent if…