“What the world really needs is courageous parenting from mothers and fathers who are not afraid to speak up and take a stand.”Larry R. Lawrence
In this episode, we break down why the parenting style we live and teach requires courage in today’s world. We delve deeper into these 10 points:
1. It takes courage to teach kids right from wrong in a culture of moral relativism.
2. It takes courage to stand up against the onslaught of evil that is attacking the family from every angle.
3. It takes courage to deny children things that “everybody else has,” to say no when everybody else is saying yes.
4. It takes courage to teach kids to be independent in a culture whose message is that the best moms are the ones who do the most for their kids.
“Stanford and colleges in every rankings tier around the country have seen parents show up to do the actual schoolwork of being a college student: they select the courses they feel will lead to their kid’s success, choose their kid’s majors, edit their kid’s papers, call faculty to question grades, and bring in lawyers to defend behavioral accusations.”Julie Lythcott Haims, How to Raise an Adult
5. It takes courage to let kids make age-appropriate decisions, and even
“Every time we rescue, hover, or otherwise save our children from a challenge, we send a very clear message that we believe they are incompetent, incapable, and unworthy of our trust.”Jessica Lahey, The Gift of Failure
6. It takes courage to paddle your family canoe upstream instead of being swept away in the current of, “Everybody else is doing it.”
7. It takes courage to say, “I love you too much to put up with that behavior for one more second,” in a society where love is defined as tolerance.
8. It takes courage to be a “mean parent” when you want your kids to like you. ( “Mean parents” mean what they say.)
9. It takes courage to create a marriage-centered family in a culture where the child-centered family is the norm.
10. It takes courage to prioritize family over sports, clubs, and extra-curricular activities.
Also check out The Parenting Breakthrough, by Merilee Brown Boyack
The parenting style we live and teach takes courage, and this episode will set the stage as our journey begins.
Listen in your favorite podcast player:
Don’t forget to subscribe and leave us a review!