From a recent poll on my Facebook page, I learned that a vast majority of parents (82% in this case) believe that raising a teenager is more difficult than raising a toddler. As a mom of teens, I understand why this is.
For starters, teens prioritize their friend group over their family. They generally don’t want to hear their parents’ opinion. They make big decisions that have potentially far-reaching consequences, and they are often an emotional wreck.
Yeah, the teen waters are turbulent. There is no denying that.
However, I also believe that teenagers are pretty great. If you understand that pulling away is a natural and normal part of teenage development (that we actually want so they don’t live with us forever), it takes some of the fear and emotion out of the equation. And that, my friends, is half the battle.
In this episode, we talk a little about development and a lot about how parents can manage the teenage years in a positive way, keeping communication lines open and relationships strong.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- A brief review of the three seasons of parenting from Episode 3
- Why it is ideal to teach your children to respect your authority before they reach the teenage years, and what to do if you did not
accomplishedthat goal. (All is not lost; don’t worry!)
- Why parents need to transition from the role of authority figures to the role of mentors once their kids hit the teenage years
- Several examples of what mentoring looks like from a parental lens
- The biggest mistake parents of teens make, and how to avoid it
- How to parent from a place of confidence instead of fear (and why that is VITAL)
- Why you should give your
teensas much freedom as they can reasonably handle, and some practical examples of how to do that
- And more!
BOOKS WE REFERENCE:
- Teen-Proofing, by John Rosemond (This is a MUST-READ if you have teens!!!)
READY TO LISTEN?
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Episode 010: What Teens Wish Their Parents Understood With Elise Sheppard
- Episode 009: Finding Hope While Raising Teens and Young Adults with Heidi Tucker
- Episode 004: The Joys and Challenges of Raising Teens
- Episode 003: Seasons of Parenting
TO HELP THE PODCAST:
If you are enjoying the podcast, please consider subscribing or reviewing it on iTunes or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Those reviews help others to find us. And, as always, feel free to share it with your friends. Word of mouth is the best marketing tool.
I have created a free e-course to help parents of strong-willed kids navigate the tricky waters of child-rearing their determined children without losing their minds. It is a compilation of things I have learned over the last 20+ years and is a perfect compliment to this episode of the podcast. Sign up here: