As a mother of five, I have often wished that each child came with his or her own parenting manual. With how different they all are, I sometimes feel like I have to figure things out over and over because what works for one doesn’t always work for the others.
However, as a believer, I have come to understand that we do have a parenting manual in the scriptures. In the pages of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon (because we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), there are numerous examples of how God, the only perfect parent, deals with us, as His children.
Of course, we mortals are not in the same league as God. But I believe with my whole heart that the parenting blueprint He repeatedly lays out in scripture is there, in part, to teach us how to raise our children in these confusing times. With a buffet of parenting philosophies to choose from, it is essential to note that God’s parenting blueprint does not line up with a vast majority of modern parenting paradigms. Listen in to find out why and what you can do about it.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to recognize and apply the three parts of God’s parenting blueprint: love, law, and accountability
- Why all three parts need to be present in order for the model to work
- Why, according to God, love alone is not enough to raise a child, despite what popular parenting philosophies teach. Law and accountability are also vital.
- Why it is OK (and necessary) for children to be afraid of disobedience
- Why discipline is essential to raising a well-adjusted child
- Why teaching our children to be obedient to us, as their parents, prepares them to be obedient to God.
SCRIPTURES WE REFERENCE:
- Genesis 3
- Helaman 15:3 – …yea, in the days of their iniquities hath he chastened them because he loveth them.
- Alma 42:12-26 – …And also, if there was no law given against sin men would not be afraid to sin…
- Mosiah 3:19 – …willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father
- 1 Samuel 3:13 – For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
BOOKS WE RECOMMEND:
- Parenting by the Book, by John Rosemond (for all Christians)
- Satan’s War of Free Agency, by Greg Wright (for Latter-day Saints)
READY TO LISTEN?
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Episode 28: Parenting Hand in Hand with God
- Episode 15: Fight for Faith
- Episode 2: Courageous Parenting
TO HELP THE PODCAST:
If you are enjoying the podcast, please consider subscribing or reviewing it on iTunes or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Those reviews help others to find us. And, as always, feel free to share it with your friends. Word of mouth is the best marketing tool.
I have created a free e-course to help parents of strong-willed kids navigate the tricky waters of child-rearing their determined children without losing their minds. It is a compilation of things I have learned over the last 20+ years. Sign up here: