Having five kids has taught me a thing or two, including the reality that sibling conflict is a fact of family life. Some of my kids get along great, and others are like oil and water.
I know I am not alone in wanting my kids to like each other in addition to loving each other. I want them to be friends and appreciate each other long in adulthood. But, some days, I wonder how I can facilitate that when they seem to be arguing every waking minute.
The unfortunate reality is that we cannot force our kids to be best friends. They don’t get to choose their siblings like they choose their friends, and sometimes, personalities will clash. Not only that, but living with people will always result in conflict from time to time.
Because of that, I do not have a magic wand to wave sibling conflict away. I do, however, have some helpful suggestions for containing it. Hopefully, as we work on containing conflict, it will become less frequent, thus increasing the amount of peace and respect in our homes.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to lay the groundwork for respect and conflict resolution in your home.
- How positive interactions and family fun time can make a huge difference in the way kids interact.
- How to teach your kids to see and appreciate the good in each other.
- Why sibling competition breeds conflict, and how to minimize that.
- Why it is vital for parents to remain neutral in sibling disputes.
- Practical ways to appropriately deal with sibling conflict, based on the ages of the kids.
YOU ALSO MIGHT ENJOY:
- Episode 017: Creative Consequences (Tickets system explained in depth)
- Episode 016: Raising a Strong-Willed Child (Without Losing Your Mind)
- Episode 003: Seasons of Parenting
TO HELP THE PODCAST:
If you are enjoying the podcast, please consider subscribing or reviewing it on iTunes or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Those reviews help others to find us. And, as always, feel free to share it with your friends. Word of mouth is the best marketing tool.
I have created a free e-course to help parents of strong-willed kids navigate the tricky waters of child-rearing their determined children without losing their minds. It is a compilation of things I have learned over the last 20+ years and is a perfect compliment to this episode of the podcast. Sign up here: