When I was a teenager, Saturday’s Warrior was one of my favorite movies. I loved the (sometimes cheesy) music but, mostly I loved the message. The lyrics of the opening song still ring in my head:
Who are these children coming down, coming down
Like gentle rain though darken skies
With glory trailing from their feet as they go
And endless promise in their eyes!
Who are these young ones growing tall, growing tall
Like silver trees against the storm
Who will not bend with the wind or the change
But stand to fight the world alone!Lex De Azevedo
I felt the power of that message and wanted to be among the strong youth fighting for faith in these latter days. And now, I am the mother of five such youth who were recently told by Russell M. Nelson, a prophet of God:
My beloved younger brothers and sisters, you are among the best the Lord has ever sent to this world. You have the capacity to be smarter and wiser and have more impact on the world than any previous generation!Russell M. Nelson
Those are powerful words, but sometimes, as a mom, I wonder how the Lord can have such confidence in kids when they know so little and are so inexperienced. But He has always accomplished His purposes through young people. In this episode, we discuss several scriptural examples of God trusting and using youth to do great things, including:
- Joseph Smith, who called down a vision from Heaven at age 14 with simple faith
- Mormon, who led the Nephite army at 15
- Helaman’s warriors who were “all young men,” yet “did not fear death,” fighting with faith to defend their families and their faith.
- Captain Moroni, a mighty commander at age 25
- Joseph, who was sold into Egypt at age 17
- David, who bravely fought Goliath as a boy
- Modern-day missionaries who preach the gospel around the globe beginning at age 18
God has always had faith in those who are young. I hope you will gain inspiration from the stories we share in this episode, both historical and from our own experiences.
READY TO LISTEN?
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Episode 039: Preparing the Rising Generation to Change the World
- Episode 028: Parenting Hand-in-Hand with God
- Episode 042: From Strong Will to Strong Leadership with Jordan Sheppard
TO HELP THE PODCAST:
If you are enjoying the podcast, please consider subscribing or reviewing it on iTunes or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Those reviews help others to find us. And, as always, feel free to share it with your friends. Word of mouth is the best marketing tool.